1. Submit Your Blog – Submit your blog to Google Here
Use Feed Burner to submit your blog Here
2. RSS Feeds – Make sure you have an RSS feed that is easy to subscribe to. But instead of saying something boring like “subscribe here”, say something that people will understand more easily like “get up to the minute news via your email or RSS here”. (Don’t know what an RSS feed is? Figure it out. Search for it on Google. It is central to blogging)
3. Create Irresistible Headlines – One of the great things about starting a blog is that it teaches you how to write good copy. And all good copywriters know the most important thing is a great headline. Look at sites like Digg and see what the popular headlines look like.
Ex. Shoot the ball like Michael Jordan
How NOT to make a left turn
Why what you are doing is not good enough
4. Lists – People on the internet go crazy for lists. Create a top ten list and you will see a surge in traffic. If a third of your posts are lists you will do well.
Ex. Top 10 Ways To Explode Your Blog Traffic
Top 5 Reasons Why I Could Steal Your Girlfriend
Top 7 Reasons Why Mindy’s Class Doesn’t Suck
5. Go Beyond Text in your Posts. – Every post should have a picture incorporated with it. To find pictures that you can use freely without copyright stuff attached go to Flickr.com. Then click on explore near the bottom. Then up top on the explore drag down box go to creative commons. The top result says attribution license only, click where it says see more. Then you can do a search within this category. All of these pictures you can use on your blog and you just have to put a little thing under the picture that says who the photographer is. This is what big time bloggers do.
5.5 Have posts with video in them – Use the camera on your computer to do a blog post. People pay way more attention to video. Or feel like being lazy. Search for a relevant Youtube video. It is super easy to put a Youtube video into your blog.
6. Core Posts – It is important to have at least two or three really well thought out researched articles in your blog. While most blog posts don’t have to be long at all, these posts should be at least 4-5 paragraphs. They should contain unique content that you can’t find other places.
7. Comment on Other Blogs – One great and easy way to drive traffic to your blog is to comment on other blogs. Say something insightful on ten blogs a week. Your name will link to your blog and the readers will click on it and check out your blog.
9. Linking to Past Posts – In your new blog posts, link to some previous posts that you have written, especially your core posts.
10. Be Patient & Relentless – Unless you are the owner of Ford, thousands of people are not going to instantly come to your blog. Develop a voice, create some great content and continue at it. It will take time and dedication to build up a following of thousands of people. But once you do it, it will be well worth it. Not only can you make money off of it, but you can become an influencer in your field.
photo cred: Tony George